The Japanese yen is showing little movement in the Tuesday session. In North American trade, the pair is trading at 111.46, up 0.35% on the day. In economic news, U.S ISM Manufacturing PMI jumped to 61.3, well above the estimate of 57.6 points. There are no major Japanese indicators on the schedule.
The U.S manufacturing sector is in good shape, according to a key indicator. In August, the ISM Manufacturing PMI survey climbed to 61.3, up from 58.1 a month earlier. This marked the indicator’s highest level since February 2011. The survey found that strong business conditions had created a stronger demand for manufactured goods. However, many manufacturers are concerned with tariffs and how long they will last, which has led to uncertainty in the pricing of goods.
With investors again focused on global trade tensions, the U.S dollar is broadly higher on Tuesday. Foremost in investors’ mind is the simmering trade dispute between the U.S and China. So far, the two economic giants have imposed $50 billion in tariffs on each other, and President Trump has threatened further tariffs worth some $200 billion, which could be imposed as early as this week. The U.S could elect to impose the tariffs in smaller bites, such as a $50 billion tariff. Trade trouble brews elsewhere as well. Talks are continuing between the U.S and Canada, after Friday’s deadline passed with no agreement in place. The EU has also engaged in a tit-for-tat tariff exchange with the United States. The dollar has climbed significantly since trade tensions began in April, as the dollar has benefited from being the primary reserve currency.
Tuesday (September 4)
- 9:45 US Final Manufacturing PMI. Estimate 54.5. Actual 54.7
- 10:00 US ISM Manufacturing PMI. Estimate 57.6. Actual 61.3
- 10:00 US Construction Spending. Estimate 0.5%. Actual 0.1%
- 10:00 US ISM Manufacturing Prices. Estimate 74.0. Actual 72.1
- Tentative – US IBD/TIPP Economic Optimism. Estimate 57.2. Actual 55.7
- All Day – US Total Vehicle Sales. Estimate 16.7M
- 23:35 Japanese 10-year Bond Auction
*All release times are DST
*Key events are in bold
USD/JPY for Tuesday, September 4, 2018
USD/JPY September 4 at 10:50 DST
Open: 111.07 High: 111.53 Low: 110.90 Close: 111.46
USD/JPY was flat in the Asian session. The pair edged higher in European trade and has posted further gains in the North American session
- 111.22 has switched to a support role after gains by USD/JPY on Tuesday
- 112.30 is the next resistance line
Further levels in both directions:
- Below: 111.22, 110.21 and 109.21
- Above: 112.30, 113.75 and 114.73
- Current range: 111.22 to 112.30
This article is for general information purposes only. It is not investment advice or a solution to buy or sell securities. Opinions are the authors; not necessarily that of OANDA Corporation or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, officers or directors. Leveraged trading is high risk and not suitable for all. You could lose all of your deposited funds.