The Canadian dollar is showing little movement on Monday, as USD/CAD trades in the high-1.25 range. On the release front, there are no Canadian or US releases. US markets are closed on Monday for Presidents Day, so USD/CAD is unlikely to show much movement during the day.
US releases wrapped up a disappointing week on a sour note, as the UoM Consumer Sentiment slipped for the first time in five months. The key indicator dropped to 93.6 points, down sharply from 98.2 in the previous report. On Thursday, retail sales and jobless numbers softened. Core Retail Sales declined by 0.9%, while Retail Sales dropped by 0.8%. Both indicators were well off their estimates of -0.4%. There was no relief from unemployment claims, which jumped to 304 thousand, compared to 284 thousand in the previous reading. The markets had expected a stronger reading of 282 thousand.
USD/CAD for Monday, February 16, 2015
USD/CAD February 16 at 15:55 GMT
USD/CAD 1.2467 H: 1.2477 L: 1.2422
- USD/CAD posted losses in the Asian session but recovered in European trade. The pair is unchanged in the North American session.
- 1.2387 is an immediate support line.
- 1.2469 is fluid. Will the pair break above this line in the North American session? 1.2543 is next.
- Current range: 1.2387 to 1.2469
Further levels in both directions:
- Below: 1.2387, 1.2261, 1.2190 and 1.2096
- Above: 1.2469, 1.2543, 1.2680, 1.2761 and 1.2950
OANDA’s Open Positions Ratio
USD/CAD ratio is pointing to gains in long positions on Monday. This is consistent with the pair’s movement, as the Canadian dollar has posted small gains. The ratio is pointing to a majority of long positions, indicative of trader bias towards the Canadian dollar moving higher.
* There are no US or Canadian releases on Monday.
This article is for general information purposes only. It is not investment advice or a solution to buy or sell securities. Opinions are the authors; not necessarily that of OANDA Corporation or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, officers or directors. Leveraged trading is high risk and not suitable for all. You could lose all of your deposited funds.