CANADA: Retail trade, May 2016

Retail sales rose 0.2% to $44.3 billion in May. Higher sales at food and beverage stores and gasoline stations more than offset lower sales at motor vehicle and parts dealers.

Sales were up in 6 of 11 subsectors, representing 51% of retail trade.

After removing the effects of price changes, retail sales in volume terms edged up 0.1% in May.

Higher sales at food and beverage stores

Receipts at food and beverage stores were up 2.1%, the fourth increase in five months. Following declines in March and April, sales at beer, wine and liquor stores advanced 6.0% in May. Supermarkets and other grocery stores posted a 1.6% increase. Sales were down at specialty food stores (-1.0%) for the third consecutive month. Sales at convenience stores (-0.8%) decreased for the first time in four months.

Following a 6.4% advance in April, sales at gasoline stations rose 2.3% in May, in part due to higher gasoline prices.

Clothing and clothing accessories stores reported a 2.8% increase in May, more than offsetting the decline in April. Higher sales were posted at clothing stores (+3.1%) and shoe stores (+3.2%), while sales at jewellery, luggage and leather goods stores edged down 0.1%.

Sales were down for all store types in the motor vehicle and parts dealers subsector (-2.0%) in May. The decline in May was largely due to weaker sales at new car dealers (-2.4%).

Following a 5.9% gain in April, sales at furniture and home furnishings stores declined 3.5% in May, as furniture stores (-5.0%) and home furnishings stores (-0.7%) posted lower sales.

General merchandise stores (-0.5%) posted lower sales for the first time in five months.

Sales up in seven provinces

Quebec (+1.0%) reported the largest increase in dollar terms, led by stronger sales at food and beverage stores.

Sales rose for the first time in four months in Manitoba (+0.5%), as higher sales were reported at supermarkets and other grocery stores.

Newfoundland and Labrador (+1.0%) reported the fourth sales gain in five months.

Sales in British Columbia edged up 0.1% on the strength of higher sales at gasoline stations and beer, wine and liquor stores.

Following increases in April, sales in Alberta were down 0.4%. The decrease was mainly attributable to lower sales at new car dealers, the main retail store type in Alberta affected by the Fort McMurray wildfire and evacuation.

New Brunswick reported a 1.2% decline in retail sales, largely stemming from lower sales at new car dealers.

Fort McMurray wildfire and evacuation

When collecting data for the May reference month, the Monthly Retail Trade Survey added three supplementary questions to a provincial sample of about 770 Alberta businesses to assess the impact of the Fort McMurray wildfire, which started in early May 2016.

Overall, 6.8% of the sample, or 52 retailers, reported that their business activities in May had been affected by the wildfire and evacuation in the Fort McMurray area. Of these 52 retailers, approximately 38% were able to provide an estimate of the impact on sales. Most retailers reported a decline in their sales, while a few others recorded increases. The remaining 62% reported an impact on their sales, but could not quantify the effects of the wildfire.

Overall, the impact of the wildfire and evacuation on May retail sales in Alberta was small, as retail sales in Fort McMurray represent approximately 2.8% of total retail sales in the province.

StatsCanada

This article is for general information purposes only. It is not investment advice or a solution to buy or sell securities. Opinions are the authors; not necessarily that of OANDA Corporation or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, officers or directors. Leveraged trading is high risk and not suitable for all. You could lose all of your deposited funds.

Dean Popplewell

Dean Popplewell

Vice-President of Market Analysis at MarketPulse
Dean Popplewell has nearly two decades of experience trading currencies and fixed income instruments. He has a deep understanding of market fundamentals and the impact of global events on capital markets. He is respected among professional traders for his skilled analysis and career history as global head of trading for firms such as Scotia Capital and BMO Nesbitt Burns. Since joining OANDA in 2006, Dean has played an instrumental role in driving awareness of the forex market as an emerging asset class for retail investors, as well as providing expert counsel to a number of internal teams on how to best serve clients and industry stakeholders.
Dean Popplewell