Gold is on the move on Tuesday, and has crossed above the key $1300 level. Early in the North American session, spot gold is trading at $1308. The metal has moved higher as tensions increase in Ukraine. In economic news, US JOLTS Job Openings improved in March.
Gold often moves higher as a result of geopolitical turmoil, and this was the case on Tuesday as well. Tensions between the US and Russia continue to increase over the Ukraine. On Monday, pro-Russian demonstrators took over government buildings in an industrial city in the east of the country and declared their independence. Russia has warned the Ukraine not to react with force, while the US has accused Russia of continuing to foment unrest in the Ukraine ahead of elections in May.
In the US, the dollar is down broadly, but there was good news on the employment front, as JOLTS Job Openings jumped above the 4.00 million level, climbing to 4.17 million last month. This was well above the estimate of 3.99 million and comes after Nonfarm Payrolls and Unemployment Claims both missed their estimates late last week. Meanwhile, there is increased speculation that we could see the Fed raise interest rates sooner than expected. Fed chair Janet Yellen has tried to dampen talk of interest rate hike, stating last week that the Fed has no plans to raise rates until at least six months after QE is terminated. On Wednesday, as the Federal Reserve releases minutes from its last policy meeting, and traders should treat this event as a market-mover.
XAU/USD for Tuesday, April 8, 2014
XAU/USD April 8 at 15:40 GMT
XAU/USD 1308.07 H: 1314.23 L: 1296.96
- XAU/USD has posted gains on Tuesday and crossed above the 1300 level late in the Asian session.
- 1273.78 continues to provide support. This is followed by a support level at 1260.98.
- 1312.62 is the next line of resistance. This line was briefly breached by the pair earlier in the day. It is followed by resistance at 1338.98.
- Current range: 1273.78 to 1312.62
Further levels in both directions:
- Below: 1273.78, 12.60.98, 1241.75 and 1215.64
- Above: 1312.62, 1338.98, 1355.80 and 1388.54
OANDA’s Open Positions Ratio
XAU/USD ratio is showing little movement in Tuesday trading. This is not consistent with what we are seeing from the pair, as gold has posted strong gains against the dollar. XAU/USD ratio is made up of a substantial majority of long positions, reflecting a trader bias towards gold continuing to move higher against the US currency.
Gold has moved back above the $1300 level. XAU/USD has posted modest losses in the North American session.
- 11:30 US NFIB Small Business Index. Estimate 92.3 points. Actual 93.4 points.
- 14:00 US JOLTS Job Openings. Estimate 3.99M. Actual 4.17M.
- 17:30 US FOMC Member Narayana Kocherlakota Speaks.
- 18:45 US FOMC Member Charles Plosser Speaks.
*Key releases are highlighted in bold
*All release times are GMT